Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Let's Go Racin'

This is the first game that I have "self-published". I use this term very lightly considering it was only for my 2 sons at the time.

It is a race game themed around the Disney-Pixar movie Cars (I am not re-selling the game so I am not concerned about licensing).

To begin with I went and bought an old board game from a secondhand store and used the box and board (it actually came with two boards) to create my own box and board. I then printed some images and found some black paper to cover the outside and finished it off with a nice coat of Mod Podge. Not sure if I would use Mod Podge again. It seemed to get the images and paper too wet causing them to bubble. 

For the card design and layout I used FileMaker Pro 10, a database program. The cards were printed at Alpha Graphics on glossy card stock (love the feel). Unfortunately the database program did not print high resolution pdfs, so the images were a little grainy in the end.


As I mentioned before, the board was made from two pre-used boards taped together with fabric tape. I also printed images and used black paper to cover the board. I would have liked to try chipboard, I hear that works well. Again I used Mod Podge to put it all together and the top coat, and again I did not like the results.


My Favorite part of the entire project was making the cars. I used Sculpy polymer clay and acrylic paints. I printed out the decals and used good ol' Mod Podge to stick them on. Unfortunately I also did the final coat with Mod Podge and ended up with a lot of brush marks (as you can see in the pics below).



All-in-all it was a great experience and I look forward to the next game.

PS A special thank you to my wife for all of her help!

No comments:

Post a Comment